Student Visa (A/2)

Who Should Apply?

All international students studying in Israel in programs of one semester (at least three months) or longer must obtain an A/2 student visa for the duration of their studies. This applies to undergraduate and graduate students, as well as post-doctoral fellows.

Please note that post-doctoral fellows who will be employed as part of their fellowship must apply for the B/1 work visa. For those on a Masa scholarship, please scroll down to learn how to apply for the Masa student visa.


About the Visa

  • The A/2 visa is valid for up to one year and must be renewed after one year in cases of longer programs.
  • Recipients of this visa are generally not permitted to work in Israel.
  • The A/2 visa can be issued with a multiple-entry permit, making it possible to leave Israel for a vacation and return without requiring a new visa.
  • It is mandatory for all students to secure their A/2 student visa before arriving in Israel.


Obtaining Your Student Visa

The A/2 student visa should be issued approximately two months prior to your arrival at Tel Aviv University (TAU). You must contact the local Israeli embassy or consulate in your country; specific regulations may apply.


In most cases, these are the required documents for issuing the student visa (please contact your local Israeli embassy/consulate to verify):

  • Passport or other travel document, valid for at least two years
  • A letter of acceptance from TAU; the letter should include information regarding the dates of your studies and scholarship/funding if awarded
  • For students under the age of 18, a notarized declaration signed by both parents
  • A visa application form (the form should be obtained from the Israeli consulate)
  • Two passport-sized photos
  • Proof of sufficient funds to cover tuition and living expenses (such as funding approvals, bank statement, etc.)
  • Birth certificate, verified by an apostille
  • Parents’ travel documents (passports)
  • Health insurance


Student Visa with Permission to Work in Israel

In certain cases, an A/2 student visa with permission to work can be obtained if the following applies:

  1. The student must be enrolled in a Master’s (MA/MSc)/PhD/post-doctoral program  at TAU
  2. The student must be hired by TAU
  3. The position is a part-time position
  4. The position is a teaching or teaching-assistant position


If you already hold an A/2 student visa and wish to add a work permit, you will be required to obtain a new visa. If you are in Israel, please fill out the online form. If you are abroad, please get in touch with your local consulate.


If you are NOT a student and wish to work, please see our B/1 work visa page.


Masa Student Visa (A/2)

If you are completing studies at TAU on a Masa scholarship, you should apply for the Masa A/2 student visa. Please see the Masa A/2 visa webpage for more information, including on how to apply.



Should you have any further questions about student visas, please contact


Ready to discover more?

Please complete the form below and someone from our team will contact you

Tel Aviv University makes every effort to respect copyright. If you own copyright to the content contained
here and / or the use of such content is in your opinion infringing, Contact us as soon as possible >>