Tel Aviv University is Israel's leading center of higher learning, providing an education for 30,000 students ranked among the finest in the world.It is comprised of 126 schools and departments across the spectrum of sciences, humanities and arts, and a campus as dynamic and multidimensional as Israel itself.
Attracting the brightest minds from across the country and around the globe, the university is distinguished by its emphasis on excellence and its pioneering, multidisciplinary approach to research.
As a result, TAU is one of Israel's most important research centers, engaged in more than 5,000 innovative projects in classic disciplines and in cutting-edge fields from bioinformatics to nanotechnology. That's why more than 150 of the world's leading academic and corporate institutions regularly conduct joint programs on campus.
TAU also helps shape Israel's social future, opening the doors of knowledge and opportunity to all. And university faculty and students are part of the daily fabric of life in Tel Aviv, reaching into the community in innumerable ways — from social welfare programs to legal clinics, from dental care to community theater, and from adult education to urban renewal.
In the fields of science, business, medicine, the humanities, government, the arts and the art of scholarship, Tel Aviv University leads the way — expanding and enriching our shared future.
Here are some facts and figures about TAU:
- Israel’s largest and most comprehensive research university, with 9 faculties and 125 schools and departments
- Located in Tel Aviv, the high-tech, business and cultural center of the country
- Founded in 1956
- 130 research institutes, 400 labs and 3,500 projects annually
- 30,000 students, of whom 14,000 are master’s and doctoral candidates
- 15,000 international alumni
- 1,000 senior faculty members and 1,400 affiliated physicians at 17 hospitals
- More than 20 International programs (degree and non degree)
- TAU is a Reuters “Top 100 Innovation University”.
- TAU ranks 9th among the top 10 schools globally for producing VC-backed founders of companies, in a survey of over 13,000 entrepreneurs worldwide (Pitchbook 2016). TAU is the only non-U.S. university to make the top 10 cut.
- TAU ranks 8th in the world for graduates that established “unicorn” companies worth $1 billion or more (Sage 2017). TAU is the only non-U.S. university to make the top 10.
- TAU ranks 26th in the world for citation impact per faculty member in the 2017 QS rankings. According to "US World News Report," citations per faculty are the best understood and most widely accepted measure of research strength and faculty productivity at a university.
- TAU ranks 10th outside the USA , 43rd in the world and 1st in Israel for US patents (2016 NAI & IPO).
- TAU is in 75th place in the world, and leads Israel in both the number of research publications and the number of publications in the most prestigious journals according to the 2017 Leiden Ranking, another objective measure of research strength and standing.
- TAU ranks 22th in the 2017 THE Asia Ranking.
- TAU ranks 5th in winning European Research Council (ERC) grants among 172 leading European research institutions.
Here are some other world figures and their sources:
- 130th place and 1st in Israel (2016 NTU Taiwan Ranking)
- Top 150-200 universities (2016 Shanghai Ranking)
- 187th place among 1,000 leading institutions (U.S. News and World Report's Best Global Universities ranking, 2017)
- 184th in the world in RUR 2016 (Round University Ranking)
- 81th in the world (CWUR 2014 Ranking)
- 159st place for Web presence and impact (2017 Webometrics Ranking)
- 11th in world in Bioinformatics and 12th in Algorithms (2013 Microsoft Academic Search)
- Among top 15 international film schools (Hollywood Reporter 2016)
- 20th in world in Computer Science (2015 Shanghai Ranking)
- Among top 30 business schools (2016 Eduniversal Ranking)
- Among top 75 for Engineering (2016 Shanghai Ranking)
- Among top 75 for Sociology (2017 Shanghai Ranking)
- Among top 100 for Economics, Statistics, Political Sciences, Psychology (2017 Shanghai Ranking)
- 80th in world in Arts & Humanities (2016 US News)
- 140th in UI GreenMetric World University Ranking
TAU has academic cooperation agreements with over 280 institutions in 46 countries.
- Israel ranks 2nd in the world for innovation out of 138 economies according to the 2016-17 Global Competitiveness Report issued by the World Economic Forum.
- It is the 4th most educated country among OECD countries.
According to the 2016-17 Global Innovation Index, a joint publication of Cornell University, INSEAD and WIPO, Israel ranks:
- 1st for researchers
- 1st for research talent in business enterprise, a newly introduced indicator to reflect the linkages in the innovation ecosystem.
- 2nd for expenditure on R&D
- 3rd for quality of research institutions
- 4th in capacity for innovation
- 6th for availability of latest technologies
- 7th for university-industry research collaboration
For more information about the university, its history, research, and more, please visit the TAU website.