Ancient Israel Studies
Ancient Israel Studies
Program Length: 1 year, with an additional thesis year option.
Language of instruction: English
- Students must have a GPA above 3 or 80%.
- Students who are not native English speakers and have not completed their undergraduate studies in English in an English-speaking country will be required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores.
Minimal IELTS requirements: Overall band score of 7.0.
Minimal TOEFL requirements: Paper-based test – 573, computer-based test – 230, internet-based test – 79.
August 31, 2023 (It is recommended to apply as early as possible)
The Awarded Degree: MA in the International Program in Ancient Israel Studies
This one-year M.A. program provides the ultimate “hands-on” experience as you dig deep into Israel’s ancient past. Where better to unravel the mysteries and stories of the past than in the Holy Land itself…
The International Graduate Program in Ancient Israel Studies at Tel Aviv University is an intensive one year MA, taught entirely in English. The outstanding Program offers students a “hands-on” experience with Israel’s ancient past while learning about the region’s fascinating history, back to biblical times and beyond. The unique program puts students at the forefront of archeological, historical, and biblical research. The unique combination of classroom, fieldtrips and archeological excavation season in the summer provides an intellectual and social component like no other program. The vibrant and nurturing environment of the program is unparalleled and prepares students for an academic or professional global career.
- Learn cutting-edge methods of field archeology and engage on the fault lines between archeology and biblical text, in the Land of the Bible. The field is our classroom.
- Excavate the world’s most iconic and enthralling archaeological sites;
Masada, The City of David, Tel Azeka, and Tel Moza to name a few.
- Learn and work side by side in the field with our award winning faculty of world renowned archaeological scholars.
- Acquire an ancient language. The program offers a different ancient language course every year, including Akkadian, Hittite, Ancient Egyptian and this year Biblical Hebrew.
Hear from the Head of the Program, Prof. Oded Lipschits:
For over 10 years running, the program draws upon students from around the globe to study Archaeology with a specialization in Biblical History, in the Land of the Bible. Our Excavation sites are run entirely by our faculty. Students learn in the classroom, in our labs, and in the field with cutting edge scientific tools and methods integral in our course of study.
We offer three academic tracks:
- One year MA in Ancient Israel Studies
- One year MA in Ancient Israel Studies with thesis (an additional year)
- Accredited PhD track
Career Success Stories:
Our interdisciplinary program affords alumni a broad array of professional and academic career options in the field of Archeology and beyond, in Israel and across the globe. Career paths include:
- Field Archaeologist
- Academic research and teaching careers
- Museum Curator
- Consultant for cultural heritage Institutions
- Specialized technical and management roles
- Museum Educator
- Science and History Writer
- Cultural Artifact Manager
- Policy Analyst
- Tour guide