Ancient Israel Studies
Ancient Israel Studies
Program Length: 1 year, with an additional Thesis Year option.
Language of instruction: English
- Students must have a GPA above 3 or 80%.
- Students who are not native English speakers and who have not completed their undergraduate studies in English at an English speaking country will be required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores.
Minimal IELTS requirements: Overall band score of 7.0.
Minimal TOEFL requirements: Paper based test – 573, computer based test – 230, internet based test – 79.
May 31, 2021 (It is recommended to apply as early as possible)
In case of restrictions connected to the COVID-19 situation, please note that the program has put in place an alternative of long distance learning. If physical presence is not possible, you will be able to participate in your courses remotely and once permitted, resume them in person without this affecting your ability to complete the program.
If you are a current or incoming student, you will be kept up to date by our staff regarding any arrival, program, and instruction information.
This one-year M.A. program provides you with the ultimate “hands-on” experience as you dig deep into Israel’s ancient past. Where better to unravel the mysteries and stories of the past than in the Holy Land itself…
Our Ancient Israel Studies program lets you get “hands-on” with Israel's ancient history, while learning about the region’s fascinating past dating back to biblical times.
When enrolling in this program you’ll get to study with world-renowned archaeological scholars, while gaining academic knowledge, practical fieldwork experience, and ancient language skills – in some of the most enthralling excavation locations in the world.
Each of our excavations is led by our faculty, and you’ll work with the very latest, modern, scientific tools as part of your archaeological and historical studies.
- Join some of the world's most exciting excavations in Masada, Jerusalem's City of David, Megiddo, and more.
- Study with world-renowned archaeological scholars who will mentor you on your way to gaining the relevant academic knowledge, practical experience, and skills.
- Visit the very same archaeological sites and excavations you’ll be studying about in class for an essential “hands-on” experience.
- An optional 1-year thesis track is available.
Career Success Stories
Our alumni may come from a variety of backgrounds, but they all have one thing in common – the carving out of a successful career at research institutions and organizations both in Israel (including at the Israel Antiquities Authority, the Nature and Parks Authority, the Society for the Protection of Nature, and the Israel Existing Foundation (KKL)*) and across the world.
Expect to “dig” yourself up a number of additional career options, including:
- Museum curator
- Consultant for cultural resource and heritage firms
- Teaching and management roles
*Applicable to holders of an Israeli ID or work visa.