Visa Information

The information below is for general information purposes only. Please contact the Israeli embassy or consulate in your home country for specific regulations for students from your country.


Israeli Embassies and Consulates Abroad

Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs – Visa Regulations



You must have a valid passport in order to leave your home country and enter Israel, your passport must be valid for six months after the date of entry and throughout your stay. If you do not have a valid passport, you should apply for one immediately.

If you hold an Israeli passport, you will be required to present it upon arrival.


Israeli Visa Requirements

Tourist Visa
Citizens of the US and many other countries attending TAU for a period of 3 months or less may enter Israel on a tourist visa. The tourist visa is valid for three months and is issued free of charge upon arrival at Ben-Gurion Airport. After three months, the visa must be extended for another three-month period at a district office of the Ministry of the Interior. The visa may be extended every three months for up to one year. There is a nominal fee for each extension. For more information click here.


Student Visa

Every participant is required to visit his/her local Israeli Consulate or Embassy of Israel prior to his/her arrival  to obtain a student visa. The student visa is an A2 visa – a multiple-entry student visa (making it possible to leave Israel for a vacation and return without requiring a new visa). The visa is valid for up to one year and must be renewed after, it is valid for multiple entrances and exits with some restrictions. Recipients of this visa are not permitted to work in Israel. It is mandatory that all students participating in programs of one semester or longer secure a Student Visa (A-2) before arriving in Israel. 

The visa is granted to students who provide the following:

You must appear in person at the Israeli embassy or consulate to apply for a student visa. The following items must be submitted upon application:

·         Your passport or other travel document, valid for at least two years

·         A letter of acceptance from Tel Aviv University, addressed to the Israeli embassy/consulate

·         For students under age 18, a notarized declaration signed by both parents

·         A visa application form, in duplicate, with one photograph attached to each copy. (These forms may be obtained from the Israeli Consulate)

·         Proof of sufficient funds to cover tuition and living expenses


Temporary Residence Visa and Visa Oleh

Students planning to stay in Israel for more than one year, or those considering settling permanently in Israel, may apply for a Visa A-2 (student), Visa A-1 (temporary resident), or Visa Oleh (new immigrant). For information about the rights and restrictions attached to each type or visa, contact the Israel Aliyah Center nearest you. Staff there will help you determine which type of visa is most beneficial to you and help you with your application.


Returning Israelis and Israeli-Born Minors

Due to frequent changes in regulations regarding returning Israelis, students born in Israel or holding Israeli citizenship or passports should contact the nearest Israeli embassy or consulate to clarify their legal status upon returning to Israel. 


Special Note Regarding Students Taking Single Courses at TAU (Not as Part of an Official Program)

Students requiring an entry visa for Israel in order to attend a stand-alone (single) course, for example, a Hebrew Language Fall or Spring Semester Course, may be denied for a student visa by their local Israeli Consulate because the course is not classified as an official program (students enrolling in the official Summer or Winter Ulpan Intensive Programs may have an easier time obtaining a visa as these are part of an official program). As TAU International does not provide specific visa guidance, please check with your local Israeli consulate for more details.

Tel Aviv University makes every effort to respect copyright. If you own copyright to the content contained
here and / or the use of such content is in your opinion infringing, Contact us as soon as possible >>