The Shmunis Family Excavation at Kiriath-Jearim
- Explore this critically important site, close to Jerusalem, mentioned in the Bible time and again.
- Delve into the history of the highlands of Judah and hence, the history of ancient (biblical) Judah, as well as on the status of Jerusalem and its countryside.
- Shed light on the cult history of Judah and Jerusalem, including the question whether a temple (to the God of Israel?) existed here in late-monarchic times in parallel to Jerusalem.
- Discover the historical background of important biblical texts, such as the Ark Narrative.
- Deploying cutting-edge archaeological methods and scientific techniques for the first time on a site the highlands.
- Have an amazing summer experience in the Holy Land!
The Shmunis Family Excavations at Kiriath-jearim is a joint project of Tel Aviv University and the Collège de France, funded by Sana and Vlad Shmunis (USA). Israel Finkelstein of Tel Aviv University and Thomas Römer and Christophe Nicolle of the Collège de France direct the project. The staff of the expedition includes French, Israeli and American archaeologists. The first season of excavation took place in the summer of 2017 (see preliminary report) the second season is scheduled for August 2019